Teeth are one of the body's most vital structures. The set of 32 teeth not only help to chew food for easier digestion, but they also give the face shape and contour. Due to the white color and resemblance with pearls teeth are sometimes called "pearlies."
Your teeth play an essential role in your aesthetics. When you smile, those pearly white teeth enhance your beauty. So, it is necessary to have perfectly maintained teeth.
We've all seen poor teeth—crooked, cracked, discolored, and even gaps caused by missing teeth—and rolled our eyes. We've all been curious as to why this is happening.
One of the main reasons for discoloration of your teeth is enamel erosion. It can happen at any age, although it is more common in children aged 5 to 17 years.
People in Navi Mumbai who experience enamel erosion are curious to know in detail about the complication. So, book your appointment with the best dentist in Vashi and learn more about the complication.
It is very important to have an idea about your tooth's anatomy. It will help you to understand the process of enamel erosion more properly.
Anatomy of a tooth:
There are two elements to a fully developed tooth:
- The crown is the visible section of the tooth that lies above the gum line.
- The root and pulp that stay in the gums.
It is made of the following materials:
The hardest material in the body is enamel. It is responsible for the crown's hard outer coating. Despite its strength, poor dental hygiene can lead to deterioration and erosion.
Next comes dentine. It forms the mass of the tooth. It isn't that hard. One of the reasons for sensitive teeth is the loss of dentine.
Pulp is a soft tissue that carries blood and nerves to the tooth, allowing for feelings such as pain and sensitivity. The pulp runs from the root to the crown's tip.
Now let us explain the erosion of enamel:
Enamel erosion occurs when chemical and acidic interactions cause the enamel to be diminished or worn away. It affects people of all ages and is linked to dentin hypersensitivity. Enamel erosion can be divided into two categories:
Intrinsic erosion: Gastric acid reactions in the mouth induce it. Acid production occurs due to medical or physiological problems such as acid reflux or eating disorders.
Extrinsic erosion: Poor diets, such as excessive sugar consumption and sugary beverages, are a key contributor to acid generation in the mouth. Eventually, this acid generation damages your tooth enamel.
What causes the deterioration of enamel?
Acid wears away the enamel on teeth, causing tooth erosion. Enamel erosion can occur due to a variety of factors, including:
- Your excessive consumption of soft drinks, which contains high phosphoric and citric acids, damages the teeth' enamel.
- Sugar-loving bacteria in your mouth produce acids that damage your enamel. If you don't brush your teeth regularly, it will grow worse.
- Fruit juice acids are highly corrosive.
- Food items that are sour, such as candies. They're also high in acid.
- Dry mouth. Saliva is your mouth protects your teeth by washing away germs and food particles. It also reduces acidity to a safe level.
- A high-sugar, high-starch diet
- Heartburn or acid reflux disease (GERD). These transport stomach acids to the surface of the mouth, where they can erode enamel.
- Problems with the digestive system
- Prescription drugs (antihistamines, aspirin, vitamin C)
- Alcohol abuse, often known as binge drinking, is a problem that affects many people. People with these diseases frequently vomit, which is difficult on the teeth.
How can you tell if you have enamel erosion?
The symptoms of the complication will help you to understand whether you are experiencing enamel erosion or not. The symptoms include -
Discoloration of Teeth:
Enamel is the substance that gives teeth their color. The discoloration is the color of the exposed dentin as enamel fades away and dentin is exposed.
Sensitivity in the tooth:
It happens when the protective enamel has worn away, exposing the dentin, which is softer and more sensitive to acid exposure, hot and cold temperatures, and other factors.
The front teeth' edges begin to seem translucent.
These changes require the assistance of a trained and experienced dentist. So, you can visit the Best dental clinic in Navi Mumbai.
Now, let us see the treatment of enamel erosion:
- Acid-forming meals and beverages contribute to deterioration and should be avoided.
- For pain alleviation, desensitizing toothpaste with mild abrasives should be beneficial.
- Sealants may be able to slow or stop the erosion process.
- Fluoride supplementation will aid in acid resistance.
If you face the complication of enamel erosion and other related issues, you must visit your dentist in Vashi.